Rio Ammunition is manufactured in Spain and has become more and more widely available in the U.S. market in recent months and years.
Muzzle Velocity: 1200 FPS
Video Transcript:Not many people have heard of Rio Royal Ammo. Considering that they make over half a billion shot shells a year, that may be a little surprising. However, they are just starting to seriously market their products in the US.
Rio ammunition is manufactured in northern Spain. They're somewhat different than other ammunition manufacturers, especially in Europe, in that they make every component of their ammo from the explosive used in the primers to the gun powder, to the hulls. This kind of vertical integration allows the company to have total control of the quality of everything they put their name on. That's the sort of quality you want if you're buying ammo for home defense.
And while Rio ammo proved to be perfectly reliable in all the firearms I tested it in, it's also priced low enough that you can buy a lot more ammo for the same amount of money as the competition. That means more training, which leads to more proficiency. And again, if you're talking about home defense, becoming and staying proficient are really important.
I tested several different types of Rio ammo. For this review, I'll cover their 12 gauge, 2 and 3/4 inch, low recoil 00 buckshot. There are a few basic ways to reduce recoil with shotgun ammo, and they involve either reducing the number of pellets or reducing their velocity, or both. Rio chose to reduce their velocity to 1,200 feet per second from 1,345 for their standard load, but left the number of pellets the same at nine.
At nine yards from a cylinder-bore shotgun, the pattern was about the size of a hand with fingers spread. At 15 yards, the pellets at the extreme edges of the pattern were all over the chest area. And beyond that, one or more pellets missed the target.
So this ammo is best used indoors or at very close range outdoors. It can also serve as a reliable and affordable buckshot training ammo if you want to use something with a tighter pattern indoors. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to choose this ammo for defensive use inside a home, as long as I regularly practiced with it and knew its characteristics.
|Bullet Weight||Not Applicable|
|Bullet Type||00 Buck|
|Ammo Casing||Not Applicable|
|Ammo Caliber||12 Gauge|
|Primer Type||Not Applicable|
|Muzzle Velocity (fps)||No|
|Muzzle Energy (ft lbs)||No|
|Cost Per Round||58.0¢ per round|
Product Question and Answer
There are no entries.
- Perfect Review by fredk11
- very satisfactory buying experience Review by jh
- Verdict Still Out Review by Poor Old Caliga
- GREAT AMMO GREAT PRICE Review by RICH JR
PLAN ON ORDERING MORE. WAS AT LOCAL GUN SHOW THIS
PAST WEEKEND SAW SAME AMMO AT MUCH HIGHER PRICE
SO LUCKY GUNNER HAS GREAT PRICE POINT (Posted on 12/5/12)
- Functions flawlessly Review by CHarley
- Great product at a very good price. As usual, great service from Lucky Gunner. Review by Robert
- Great value Great Performance Review by dustoffs
- on time as always Review by snookdog
- Good to go! Review by THE Don
- great Review by ptl
- Thanks! Review by Buff
- GREAT AMMO WILL PURCHASE AGAIN Review by CHUCK
- Count on Lucky Gunner Review by keith
- Excellent, affordable Review by Kato
- Does what it is supposed to at a great price Review by CW
- good stuff mate Review by kiwi
- Great bang for your buck! Review by Don
- fantastic Review by rambobob